Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Anxious On My Mind

I was in Port Elizabeth for the world cup quarter final match between Brazil and the Netherlands. The evening light had been so good that I thought it wise to check out the morning light. The sunrise was beautiful, and I made photographs.

I noticed a man under a viewing deck, he cut a rather lonely figure out there. I could see that he had spent the night out doors. I walked over and we greeted each other. It turns out he was a people watcher, and said to me, 'You love what you do?'. It was more a a statement than a question, and one that I am guilty of.

We spoke for some time on the beach. I learned that Anxious is a Zimbabwean looking for work. He was a soldier in Zimbabwe, where he has left his wife and child. Work is hard to find, not even the other Zimbabweans in town were too keen on helping him.

Being away from my family myself I knew some of what he was talking about. I suddenly felt a little guilty. I had only been away from home for a day and even though I had to share a room, I had a place to stay. (And a great room mate.)

But the penny really dropped when in answer to me asking what he does during the day replied, 'I like to walk up and down the beach, it keeps me from thinking too much.'

I wish there was more that I could do for Anxious. He never asked for money even though I have no doubt he needed some. So I put it out on this page, in the hope that someone knows someone who needs a good man who wants to work.

No comments: