Friday, July 03, 2009

Home Alone


My children are now 9 and 5. The girl in the picture is 7. My children live at home with me, where Lucy and I feed them, wash their clothes, do homework with them and read to them at night. The girl in the picture is doing her homework reading on her own. Her parents live in the Eastern Cape but send the children to school in Pietermaritzburg where the four of them live alone. The child in picture is the youngest at 7 and her, after school hours, has no adult supervision at all.

It was a tough story to work on. In fact I have yet to read the story which was published in todays Mail and Guardian. It left me saddened. I think sometimes one forgets how lucky we are.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Any chance of reading a tear sheet? Just checked CNA and they no longer have yesterdays copy