Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Blind Man

He is a blind man. I could not communicate with him, I think he had medicated himself to a point. He seemed close to the edge of life, or death.

I photographed him in August 2008 and have been on assignment in the area recently. I think I must ask after him, and would have but do not know his name. I tried to ask his name but his mumbling was incoherent, and sad. Maybe I should have stayed a little while, or visited soon after this.

Are we there to just observe? To record life from up close through a wide lens, but at a distance. I recently chose to get involved and the result has so far been life changing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aha.. THere in lies the dichotomy of the Journalist... What is one's role other than self preservation at the end of the day? Without the rewards (self-satisfying and monetary) on offer for documenting such predicaments, would there be any point in doing it.. ?
Mother Theresa and all the other selfless people are journalists who care not for the pen or the sword. You can argue of course that awareness has to be created and you'd be right (for what my judgement is worth..) but of course it's your choice and it depends where you end and they begin..